Department: Process Development/CMC
Reports to: Group Leader – Upstream Process Development
Direct Reports: N/A
MAIN PURPOSE OF JOB
We are seeking an ambitious, highly motivated and experienced Upstream Senior Scientist to join our team. This is a role where you will be able to apply your experience in a cutting-edge environment working for a growing company in an innovative environment. This is an exciting opportunity for a talented scientist to contribute to the development of novel, state-of-the-art mammalian cell culture upstream processes for exosome-based biotherapeutic products.
We are looking for an individual who is a self-starter, will thrive in a start-up environment, be able to coach and motivate, be able to innovate and relish the sense of accomplishment each day brings in our exciting company.
This position is based at Evox Therapeutics facility at the Oxford Science Park, Oxford, UK and reports to the Group Leader Upstream Process Development.
- Design experiments and work closely with Scientists and Associate Development Scientists to develop and optimise mammalian cell culture in batch, fed-batch and perfusion processes for exosome products.
- Cell culture using shake flasks, high throughput bioreactor systems such as amr15/ambr250, 2L and 10L stirred tank bioreactors and WAVE bioreactors.
- Apply statistical approaches for process optimisation (DoE, QbD) at small scale (ambr 15/250 high throughput) and translation of small-scale results to process scale-up.
- Scale up of upstream processes (10-200L) to confirm process performance.
- Experience with routine analytical techniques such as SDS-PAGE, Western Blotting, biochemical assays and ELISA is desirable.
- Support technology transfer activities for commercial manufacturing.
- Ensure that all experimental and analytical data is documented following data integrity principles.
- Work collaboratively with Research, Cell Line Development, Downstream Process Development, Process Scale-Up and Supply and Quality to develop and establish new techniques and recommend alternative approaches and potential solutions to upstream process development issues.
- Ensure a healthy and safe working environment and compliance to GMO/ACDP requirements.
Education and Qualifications:
- PhD or BSc/MSc in Cell Biology, Biochemistry, Biotechnology, Molecular Biology, Biological Sciences, Biochemical Engineering/EngD or a related field.
A highly motivated and ambitious scientist with:
- Ability to work independently.
- Good conceptual, analytical thinking, problem solving, and organisational skills.
- Ability to work in a high paced team environment, meet deadlines, and prioritise work from multiple projects.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills with demonstrated ability to work within a team environment, train and develop more junior scientists.
- Ability to balance multiple priorities and projects at the same time and be able to change priorities as needed by the business.
Experience & knowledge
- PhD in relevant area with 3-8+ industrial laboratory experience in biologics and/or cell/viral product process development or BSc/MSc with 8+ years direct industrial laboratory experience as above.
- Proven industry experience in mammalian suspension cell culture batch and fed-batch process development, optimisation and scale up most probably gained in with protein and/or viral products.
- Experience with basal medium and feed development, control, and optimisation.
- Experience in the development of perfusion processes would be advantageous.
- Experience in adherent cell culture, expansion and scale out would be advantageous but not essential.
- Understanding and experience of development and establishment of in-process analytical methods as applied to mammalian cell culture processes.
KEY BEHAVIOURAL ATTRIBUTES – ALL STAFF
People with Purpose – We are innovative and creative in the way we work and deliver. We treat each other with respect and dignity and work collaboratively to learn from each other’s strengths.
Driven to Deliver – We strive to deliver our objectives, and then look for our next challenge. We recognise our achievements and celebrate our successes.
Agile and Accountable – We respond to challenges impacting our progress and find creative and innovative solutions to overcome obstacles. We are brave and not afraid to change our approach to achieve a positive outcome in optimum time.
Candid and Constructive – We communicate with honesty and transparency throughout the team. We value giving and receiving constructive feedback to each other and our partners.