Reports to: Nonclinical Manager
Direct Reports: None
MAIN PURPOSE OF JOB
We are looking for a highly motivated and enthusiastic In-vivo Research Technician to join the Translational team at Evox.
The post holder will be required to maintain the day-to-day running of the preclinical labs and to help plan, manage and execute the in-vivo studies as well as recognise, troubleshoot and work through potential conflictions such as timings and study clashes to ensure consistency and achieve high quality data.
You will be required to contribute to the writing of experimental protocols and to advise where necessary to ensure all materials and processes have been fully realised, understood and any personal training requirements have been met.
The post holder will hold a Home Office personal licence and will be required to keep up to date and in line with ASPA, the local rules and reporting structure and apply the key principles of the 3R’s.
This role has a high level of health and safety and quality assurance connected to it and the post holder will be required to carry out processes to a high and consistent standard. Risk assessments and SOPs will be part of the post holder’s responsibility to keep updated and to generate new documents where required.
The post would suit a licensed in-vivo technician with at least 4 years’ experience within the animal technology field, looking to progress into a more technical role. Experience of CNS dose routes would be advantageous and a willingness to learn new routes of administration and technical skills is essential. Fine motor skills are a key ability.
This position is based at the Evox Therapeutics lab in London, UK.
- To facilitate the smooth running of preclinical projects whilst balancing multiple priorities and projects
- Hold and maintain a Home Office Personal Licence, modules AB&C
- Maintain transgenic breeding colonies to ensure 3R’s are always applied
- Keeping clear written records of work undertaken
- Train and teach others in procedures to facilitate the experimental programmes
- Responsible for reporting welfare concerns to the NACWO and Nonclinical Manager
- Performing laboratory consumables stock checks, re-ordering, receiving deliveries and maintenance of storage
- Routine equipment maintenance, calibration, cleaning and coordinating repairs and servicing with vendors and external contractors
- Maintaining general housekeeping standards in the laboratories including the prompt reporting of problems, shortages, or equipment breakdown
- Assisting with preparation of laboratory equipment for experiments
- Ensure that all activities are conducted safely and following the appropriate health and safety policies, and procedures relevant to the tasks being performed
- Create, maintain, and review SOPs and risk assessments
- Collect, store, quality check and distribute data following GDP principles
The successful applicant will be able to demonstrate a high level of performance against the following:
- Dextrous and self-motivated with a commitment to the projects and their completion and an ability to work safely and effectively without supervision
- Capable of working both independently and as part of a team
- A commitment to the highest standards of animal care, welfare and management
- Strong organisational skills
- Proactive and self-motivated
- Focussed individual with great attention to detail
- Communicates effectively
- Adaptable, enthusiastic, and approachable
- Good at problem solving
- Willing to work wrap-around hours when needed
Experience & knowledge
- Have a thorough understanding of the Animals Scientific Procedures Act A(SP)A 1986
- Have held a named position in a previous/current role
- A minimum of 4 years of working in an in-vivo research role
- Have achieved Home Office Modules A & B; module C considered advantageous
- Have achieved IAT level 3/MIAT as a minimum
- Knowledge of safety regulations, procedures and COSHH
- Experience in maintaining transgenic breeding lines
- Excellent computer skills including MS Excel, Outlook and Word
KEY BEHAVIOURAL ATTRIBUTES – ALL STAFF
People with Purpose – We are innovative and creative in the way we work and deliver. We treat each other with respect and dignity and work collaboratively to learn from each other’s strengths.
Driven to Deliver – We strive to deliver our objectives, and then look for our next challenge. We recognise our achievements and celebrate our successes.
Agile and Accountable – We respond to challenges impacting our progress and find creative and innovative solutions to overcome obstacles. We are brave and not afraid to change our approach to achieve a positive outcome in optimum time.
Candid and Constructive – We communicate with honesty and transparency throughout the team. We value giving and receiving constructive feedback to each other and our partners.