Reports to: Senior Director- AAV platform
Direct Reports: 3-4 FTE
MAIN PURPOSE OF JOB
As a Head of AAV production, you will be a pivotal member of the AAV platform team at Evox. You will play a key role in supporting the AAV vector production within Evox, being responsible for establishing and leading USP, DSP and analytics. You will lead a team focused on the generation of AAV vectors for discovery and preclinical efforts. The ideal candidate will have a background AAV downstream and upstream processes in an industry setting, and have strong technical, organization, and leadership skills.
This position is based at Evox Therapeutics facility at the Oxford Science Park, Oxford, UK and will report to the Senior Research Director.
- Lead and establish a team of scientists as well as taking on a ‘hands-on’ approach to deliver AAV vector products.
- Provide scientific and technical leadership in the AAV vector production, role modelling best practice approaches and techniques.
- Responsible for the resolution of all technical and scientific issues that affect, or have the potential to affect, the delivery of AAV production, ensuring early visibility and awareness into implementation risks, identifying preventative measures, investigating, and troubleshooting equipment.
- Deliver reports ensuring timely completion and high-quality documentation.
- Work collaboratively with the technical and operational stakeholders within the AAV team, other colleagues within Research and also those across the R&D organisation.
- Ensure a healthy and safe working environment.
- Role model the Company values and leadership behaviours, cultivating high performing and highly engaged teams.
- Build strong working relationships with enabling functions, including Finance, IP, Legal, Business Development and HR to ensure the optimal environment for the delivery of objectives.
- Present regularly to the internal senior R&D team and provide timely provision of data and documentation reports to support intellectual property filings and regulatory submissions.
Education and Qualifications:
- Ph.D. in Cell Biology, Molecular Biology, Virology, Biochemistry or related field with several years of experience in the pharmaceutical industry or academic environment. MSc/MRes candidates with substantial experience also considered.
A highly motivated ambitious scientist with:
- Ability to work independently and lead and motivate others.
- Good conceptual, analytical thinking, problem solving, and organisational skills.
- Ability to work in a high paced team environment, meet deadlines, and prioritise work from multiple projects.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills with demonstrated ability to work within a team environment.
- Ability to balance multiple priorities and projects at the same time and be able to change priorities as needed by the business.
Experience & knowledge
- Extensive experience in production of gene therapy vectors, particularly AAV, and operation and management of vector core facility.
- Expertise/knowledge in downstream processes. Specific expertise in upstream and established methods to measure the quality and titre of purified AAV vector is a plus.
- Background and understanding of AAV biology as well as gene therapy are highly desirable.
- Experience in managing and collaborating with CROs.
- Experience in developing SOPs
- Experience in high throughput workflows is a plus.
KEY BEHAVIOURAL ATTRIBUTES – ALL STAFF
People with Purpose – We are innovative and creative in the way we work and deliver. We treat each other with respect and dignity and work collaboratively to learn from each other’s strengths.
Driven to Deliver – We strive to deliver our objectives, and then look for our next challenge. We recognise our achievements and celebrate our successes.
Agile and Accountable – We respond to challenges impacting our progress and find creative and innovative solutions to overcome obstacles. We are brave and not afraid to change our approach to achieve a positive outcome in optimum time.
Candid and Constructive – We communicate with honesty and transparency throughout the team. We value giving and receiving constructive feedback to each other and our partners.