Department: AAV platform/ Research
Reports to: Group Leader – AAV Vector Production
Direct Reports: N/A
MAIN PURPOSE OF JOB
AAV Vector Production team is looking for an ambitious, highly motivated Research Assistant with experience in viral vector production. This is a role where you will be able to apply your experience in a cutting-edge environment working for a growing company in an innovative environment. This is an exciting opportunity for a talented Research Assistant to take a leading role in the development of AAV research grade material with primary focus on Upstream Process and Analytics.
We are looking for an individual who is a self-starter, will thrive in a start-up environment, be able to coach and motivate, be able to innovate and relish the sense of accomplishment each day brings in our exciting company.
This position is based at Evox Therapeutics facility at the Oxford Science Park, Oxford, UK and reports to the Group Leader AAV Vector Production.
- Carry out routine cell culture and perform and optimize transient transfections.
- Generate harvest material for purification.
- Perform analytical techniques on vector preparations to evaluate titration and purity (QPCR, ddPCR, ELISA, Alkaline gel, protein gels etc).
- Perform AAV vector purification by a range of methods.
- Aid the smooth and efficient running of the AAV Vector Production.
- Ensure validity and reliability of data at all times and maintain accurate records.
- Assist with the effective running of the laboratory by undertaking the appropriate H&S training, maintain a high level of laboratory cleanliness and participate in any laboratory duties commensurate with the grade as required. These will change over time depending on the priority of the company and the discretion of line managers.
- Work collaboratively with AAV Vector Production team, Research, CMC and Quality team to develop and establish new techniques and recommend alternative approaches and potential solutions to upstream process development and analytics.
- Attend and participate in relevant meetings, training and development sessions.
Education and Qualifications:
A highly motivated and ambitious Research Assistant with:
- Minimum BSc-degree in a relevant biological discipline.
- Hands on experience with mammalian cell culture.
- Experience in protein and DNA analysis techniques (SDS-PAGE, Western, ELISA), QPCR and ddPCR.
- Working knowledge of AAV (or other viral vectors) production.
- Experience in FPLC protein purification would be desirable.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to organise daily work with limited supervision.
- Ability to work well in a team in a fast-paced environment.
Experience & knowledge
- Several years of experience in the pharmaceutical industry or academic environment in production of gene therapy vectors, particularly AAV.
- Expertise/knowledge in upstream processes as well as methods to measure the quality and titre of purified AAV vector.
- Background and understanding of AAV biology as well as gene therapy are highly desirable.
- Experience in developing SOPs.
KEY BEHAVIOURAL ATTRIBUTES – ALL STAFF
People with Purpose – We are innovative and creative in the way we work and deliver. We treat each other with respect and dignity and work collaboratively to learn from each other’s strengths.
Driven to Deliver – We strive to deliver our objectives, and then look for our next challenge. We recognise our achievements and celebrate our successes.
Agile and Accountable – We respond to challenges impacting our progress and find creative and innovative solutions to overcome obstacles. We are brave and not afraid to change our approach to achieve a positive outcome in optimum time.
Candid and Constructive – We communicate with honesty and transparency throughout the team. We value giving and receiving constructive feedback to each other and our partners.