Reports to: Senior Director- AAV platform
Direct Reports: 2-3 FTE
MAIN PURPOSE OF JOB
As the head of AAV Capsid Targeting and Engineering, you will be a pivotal member of the AAV platform team at Evox. You will play A key role as member of AAV Discovery team by contributing to Discovery strategy, building culture of innovation, goal development and performance management and budget forecasting and management. In this role, the successful candidate will design, build, and apply novel AAV capsid screening tools to further extend Evox cutting-edge AAV and exo-AAV technology platform
This position is based at Evox Therapeutics facility at the Oxford Science Park, Oxford, UK and will report to the Senior Research Director.
- Lead and establish a team of scientists as well as taking on a ‘hands-on’ approach to design and evaluate novel strategies to optimise AAV loading into exosomes through capsid targeting library design, characterisation, and screens.
- Design and contribute to the characterisation of lead capsid variants and facilitate their translation into gene therapy products.
- Design and screening of capsid targeting libraries using high-throughput approaches.
- Deliver reports ensuring timely completion and high-quality documentation.
- Work collaboratively with the technical and operational stakeholders within the AAV team, other colleagues within Research and also those across the R&D organisation.
- Collaborate with the intellectual property team to align on approach, and aid in the drafting of patent claims.
- Ensure a healthy and safe working environment.
- Support line manager in a matrix team environment, and in ensuring smooth running of the group.
- Build strong working relationships with enabling functions, including Finance, IP, Legal, Business Development and HR to ensure the optimal environment for the delivery of objectives.
- Role model the Company values and leadership behaviours, cultivating high performing and highly engaged teams.
- Present regularly to the internal senior R&D team and provide timely provision of data and documentation reports to support intellectual property filings and regulatory submissions.
Education and Qualifications:
A highly motivated ambitious scientist with:
- PhD qualified in Molecular Biology, or relevant biological sciences with several years of experience in the pharmaceutical industry or academic environment.
- Experience with library design, NGS and other commonly used molecular biology techniques.
- Proven track record in leading research projects from idea to completion (e.g. patent filing, candidate selection, etc).
- Ability in leading and balancing multiple priorities and projects at the same time and be able to change priorities as needed by the business.
- Ability to work independently and lead and motivate others.
- Good conceptual, analytical thinking, problem solving, and organisational skills.
- Ability to work in a high paced team environment and meet deadlines.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills with demonstrated ability to work within a team environment.
- Experience in the following areas would be an asset: barcoding and next generation sequencing techniques, high-throughput design and screening.
- Experience in managing and collaborating with CROs.
Experience & knowledge
- Previous experience in the field of synthetic biology or AAV gene therapy preferred.
- Background and understanding of AAV biology as well as gene therapy are highly desirable.
- Experience using molecular biology software and online tools (e.g. UCSC, NCBI, Ensembl, etc) is essential.
- Experience with bioinformatic programming (e.g. R, Python, MySql, Java, etc).
KEY BEHAVIOURAL ATTRIBUTES – ALL STAFF
People with Purpose – We are innovative and creative in the way we work and deliver. We treat each other with respect and dignity and work collaboratively to learn from each other’s strengths.
Driven to Deliver – We strive to deliver our objectives, and then look for our next challenge. We recognise our achievements and celebrate our successes.
Agile and Accountable – We respond to challenges impacting our progress and find creative and innovative solutions to overcome obstacles. We are brave and not afraid to change our approach to achieve a positive outcome in optimum time.
Candid and Constructive – We communicate with honesty and transparency throughout the team. We value giving and receiving constructive feedback to each other and our partners.