Department: Rare Disease Biology
Reports to: Group Leader, Rare Disease Team
MAIN PURPOSE OF JOB
As a Scientist/Senior Scientist – Assay Development, you will be an important part of the Rare Disease team. You will play a key role in choosing, sourcing and manipulating humancentric cellular models, representative of diseased of interest. You will also develop appropriate in vitro proof of concept biological and phenotypic assays for the characterisation of Evox’s platforms and pipeline in rare diseases and generate key data for initiation of invivo proof of concept pharmacological studies.
- Responsible for sourcing and/or generating humancentric cellular models that recapitulate the biology of diseases of interest.
- Be the reference point for the testing of new drug modalities such as mRNA and AAVs.
- Design, miniaturize, validate and analyse cell-free and cell-based assays to deliver key project data.
- Deliver data to support project transition to in vivo translational studies.
- Collaborate with internal and external scientists to share and transfer protocols as necessary.
- Role model for the Company values and leadership as well as collaborative behaviours, cultivating high performing and highly engaged teams.
- Build strong working relationships within the Team and across Departments.
It is expected the candidate will have experience of developing cell-free/cell-based protocols and assays. They will be experienced across a variety of in-vitro techniques covering phenotypic and functional end-points. The candidate must have strong scientific, organizational, managerial, inter-personal skills and be confident in leading and communicating studies with the colleagues across disciplines. They will be delivery focussed and comfortable working in an agile, collaborative and team-oriented environment.
Experience & knowledge
- PhD in a relevant Biological discipline/Genetics .
- Significant assay development expertise (e.g. biochemical, cellular and immunology based assays/techniques, microscopy, flow cytometry).
- Experience across diverse cell types (including cell lines, primary cells and stem cells) in 2D and 3D.
- Experience of working with new drug modalities or advanced biological approaches particularly experience working with mRNA or AAV based therapies is highly desirable.
- An entrepreneurial attitude and able to work in a fast-paced and agile environment; self-motivated with a high level of attention to detail whilst keeping objectives in sight.
- Excellent communication & interpersonal skills including presenting complex scientific data, whilst appropriately targeting audiences
KEY BEHAVIOURAL ATTRIBUTES – ALL STAFF
People with Purpose – We are innovative and creative in the way we work and deliver. We treat each other with respect and dignity and work collaboratively to learn from each other’s strengths.
Driven to Deliver – We strive to deliver our objectives, and then look for our next challenge. We recognise our achievements and celebrate our successes.
Agile and Accountable – We respond to challenges impacting our progress and find creative and innovative solutions to overcome obstacles. We are brave and not afraid to change our approach to achieve a positive outcome in optimum time.
Candid and Constructive – We communicate with honesty and transparency throughout the team. We value giving and receiving constructive feedback to each other